The Lucas Cranach Tower is a 22 meter high lookout tower of the Frankenwaldverein near the Upper Franconian district town of Kronach. He is named after the German painter and graphic artist Lucas Cranach (1472 - 1553), who was born in Kronach. The observation deck of the tower is located 18 meters above the ground and can be reached via a spiral staircase with 88 steps.
September 21, 2015
The Lucas-Cranach-Turm of the Frankenwaldverein e.V. is located directly on the FrankenwaldSteig, on the FrankenwaldSteigla Stübengraben-Weg and on the Frankenweg and offers a wonderful view of Kronach with the fortress Rosenberg and the Kronacher Land. At the bottom of the tower is a group of seats, which invites to a rest.
February 19, 2019
In the early 1880s, a cairn served as a lookout point at the site of the Lucas Cranach Tower. In 1884 a simple, twelve meter high wooden tower followed, which was destroyed in a storm shortly after it was erected. The construction of today's observation tower goes back to a large extent to the initiative of the Kronach local group of the Franconian Forest Association, founded in 1911. The work was carried out by master builder Franz Haun, who also designed the tower. The comparatively low construction costs of 4000 marks were partly covered by donations from the population. The Lucas Cranach Tower was completed after three months of construction on August 23, 1913, and it was officially inaugurated on September 22, 1913 (source: Tourismus Weißenbrunn website).
August 29, 2022
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!