A walk through the Rococo gardens of the park takes the visitor back to the courtly life of the past. At the beginning of the 18th century, Prince-Bishop Lothar Franz von Schönborn built the garden, which was one of the best known of its time. Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim decorated the garden during his reign from 1757 to 1779 splendidly. Highlights were the Orangerieparterre, the cascades and over 400 sculptures by the famous Franconian sculptor Ferdinand Tietz. Despite the varied history with drastic changes, the structure of the garden has been preserved. As in the past, you can walk through Linden and Kastanienalleen to the attraction of the park - the cascades - which show their water games every hour in front of the magnificent castle backdrop. The restored Orangerieparterre has been providing a special experience since 2011. Pomeranian, orange and lemon trees exude their beguiling fragrance and recall the dream of the south.
Schloss Seehof was built in 1686 as the summer residence of the Bamberg prince-bishops to plans by Antonio Petrini. At the end of the 20th century, extensive remedial measures were necessary. The majority of the castle is now used by the Bavarian State Office for the Preservation of Monuments. For visitors, nine showrooms of the restored apartment are again accessible to the prince-bishops, including the "White Room" with the virtuoso ceiling painting by Giuseppe Appiani. From the splendor of the former rococo garden testify u.a. the restored cascade with its water features and some surviving sandstone sculptures by Ferdinand Tietz.
March 29, 2018
The orangery building with the Memmelsdorfer Tor and the later added greenhouses on both sides are among the most important Orangerie buildings in Franconia. The original orangery was commissioned by Lothar Franz von Schönborn around 1723. Starting from 1733 under Friedrich Karl, since 1729 prince bishop of Bamberg, with the planning of Balthasar Neumann the Orangerien were renewed on the north side of the pleasure garden. The construction work was carried out by Justus Heinrich Dientzenhofer. The spacious grounds served as a wintering home for the orange trees and other exotic plants. The Ferdinand Tietz Museum has been set up in the western orangery since 1997.
Schloss Seehof is the former summer residence and hunting lodge of the Bamberg prince-bishops. The castle, located about five kilometers northeast of Bamberg, today belongs to the municipality of Memmelsdorf. It is surrounded by a large garden, which used to be Rococo style. The area of the plant covers about 21 hectares. In the immediate vicinity Teichwirtschaft is operated for carp breeding.
The interior design was by rococo artists such as the fresco painter Giuseppe Appiani, the art carpenter Ferdinand Hundt, the plasterer Franz Jakob Vogel and the painter Johann Joseph Scheubel d.Ä. embossed. The garden art was created primarily by Ferdinand Tietz.
February 1, 2019
In recent years, the Kastanienallee and the framing Lindenalleen were replanted and the Tapis verts newly created. Especially impressive are the old hornbeam hedges on the main driveway, the old arcade and the linden halls.
Opening hours of the park: 1st April - 31st October: daily from 7am to 7pm
1st November - 31st March: daily from 9:00 am until dusk
August 24, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!