Bike Touring Highlight
The church of Santa Maria, which was originally the church of the castle, has always been part of the populace of San Pietro a Gropina. It is one of those Valdarno churches that suffered the desire for "decorum" of the parish priests. It was demolished and totally rebuilt in 1932-1934 on a project by the parish priest don Antonio Bizzelli, who demolished the old temple, according to him too small, to make it "more modern and pleasing to the eye". Of the ancient church the stones were reused here and there: a small slab of sandstone, with Gothic inscriptions of the XIV or XV century - it reads AP (ERPETUA) M (EMORIA) and NICOLAO is walled on the outer wall of a hut contiguous. Two of the four bells are still those of the past, but there is no longer that most precious table of the Virgin and Child considered one of Margaritone's masterpieces which, after a careful restoration, now makes a fine show of itself in the Medieval Art Museum and modern of Arezzo.source CAI VALDARNO SUPERIORE
November 26, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.