Mountain Biking Highlight
The Sternhaus owes its existence to the first electric tram line Braunschweig - Wolfenbüttel, which went into operation in 1897. To increase the attractiveness of the line, an excursion restaurant was built by the Strassen-Eisenbahn-Gesellschaft and opened on September 16, 1898. The star house takes its name from its baroque predecessor, a hunting and pleasure palace, from whose location eight star-shaped paths started. The excursion restaurant was very popular until the 1940s. During the two world wars, the Sternhaus was used as a reserve hospital. During the 2nd World War the star house was looted and neglected. The English military government confiscated the house and made it available to the workers' welfare as a youth home. However, the operation was unprofitable and was closed.
In 1964 the star house burned out. The roof structure of the upper hall was completely destroyed.
The Sternhaus, which is under monument protection, has been owned by the current owner since 1978. After extensive restoration, the star house has become a magnet again.
November 11, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!