The once powerful fortress from the early 12th Century was founded by two brothers, both robber barons. The history of these old frontier festivals, at least from the beginning of the thirteenth century, is closely linked with that of the Schottwien market.
It is believed that Schottwien as a fortified independent place at the time, when Styria under Duke Leopold the Virtuous first fell to Austria (1192), has already existed, although the name first mentioned documentary half a century later.
But at the castle of the rocks, which was the obedience and subjugation of all the surrounding area, from the 12th to the 15th century, as a powerful, influential race, the Lords of Chlamme were unsubstantiated and unconquered, which is why the old chroniclers had their seat ars invicibilis, the Invincible. called. This changed, of course, when in 1487 the un-imperial king Matthias Corvinus,after he had conquered Vienna and the "ever faithful" Neustadt, he also threw his armies before the imperial estates in the southern Ostmark, where under the last gorge with Schottwien after a stormy siege fell into the hands of the enemy. Immured stone balls in Klamm still admonish this siege today.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!