Before the establishment of the Lange Jaap, the shipping off the coast around Den Helder and Texel was secured by various lighthouses and beacons. In addition, there was a tower on the site of today's Fort Kijkduin, where wood and coal were burned to warn ships of dangers. In 1822, a forty-four meter high stone tower was erected on the site of the fort, and a beacon equipped with 26 oil lamps and mirrors was installed. In 1853, the mirrors were replaced by a lens system before the old tower became superfluous in 1878 with the construction of the Lange Jaap.
November 2, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.