Otto Feick, the son of a blacksmith, rolled down the mountain in two connected wagon tires in Reichenbach (Palatinate) in front of the grandfather's forge as a child. During his imprisonment in 1921 in the military prison in French-occupied Mainz, he remembered the experiments in his childhood and developed the basic concept for the sports equipment. Soon he was released from prison and built it in Ludwigshafen am Rhein. A first photo was also taken on the premises of the Volksgesundheit e.V. (now VSK Germania Niederfeld 1919 e.V.), which he co-founded in 1919, which was later used for the patent application. The first rolling tests took place on the meadows on the small Blies in Ludwigshafen-Gartenstadt.In 1923 Feick and many other railroad workers were expelled from the Palatinate by the French occupiers and moved to his wife's home in Schönau a.d. Brend in the Bavarian Rhön, where he opened a metal processing workshop. From there, he applied for a patent for the 'tire, gymnastics and sports equipment' in 1925, which was issued to him on November 8, 1925 under number 442057. He did not protect the name 'Rhönrad' until 1926. At the beginning of 1926 he demonstrated the gymnastics wheel at the German University for Physical Education in the Sportforum Berlin. He also presented it at an inventors and innovations fair in 1926 in Ebertpark in Ludwigshafen. (... from Wiki)
September 18, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.