Bike Touring Highlight
The history of the pilgrimage church and its development
Pastor Josef Anton Steiner received in 1762 the official consent to the public worship of the image of Mary and the construction of a chapel. The devout initiation took place a year later in 1763. In a short time, the crowd was so strong that the church had to be extended in 1774 to the west. A part of the annexes was financed by a generous grant from the counts of Toerring-Seefeld as Hofmarkherrschaft.Beyond the ecclesiastical extension, a small house for a hermit was built, which undertook to make mesmeric services. In addition, a cultivation east of the sacristy was created by giving lessons for the children of nearby places. After the abolition of the Klausnerei 1802 inhabited until today the responsible Mesner the house, which cherishes the plant affectionately and maintains.The church has received some alterations and changes in the last decades. Ultimately, in 1912, it was decided to return the church to its original appearance. The last renovation of the church took place in 1960/62.In 1972, when the Mesnerhäuschen was demolished, it was replaced by a new building according to the plans of Roland von Rebay, based on the predecessor building.
October 2, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.