Bike Touring Highlight
Of the formerly many water mills in the district of Cuxhaven there are still five listed mills. A watermill Hainmühlen was first mentioned in 1400. In 1419, the city council of Bremen bought it from the previous owner Heinrich Hogreve. It was run as a sovereign grain mill by tenants and benefited until 1850 by Mahlzwang, which extended over seven villages. The farmers were allowed to grind their grain only in this and no other mill. The mill was built in 1829 at its current location in its present form. It is a middle-sized mill; the water hits the wheel at the level of the axle. This shaft is connected to a shaft which transmits the rotation to the comb wheels, which releases the power to the grinding gears. The mill, which originally received its water from the Wittgeeste, was in the middle of the 20th century only with electric motor for shredding in operation. The foundation of the mill is made of mighty stone dating back to the 16th century. - In 1980, the joint venture Bad Bederkesa acquired the mill, restored it and established it as a museum mill. The mill technology is available and fully functional. When Münzeinwurf the water wheel turns. Visit possible.
September 4, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!