Mountain Biking Highlight
Nordkirchen Castle, also called the small palace Versailles waits in the courtyard with a small kitchen, or coffee and cake or beer garden on the inside and beyond with the fine cuisine.
Small celebrations, weddings, or a special evening for two are as much a pleasure as a nice meal.
Furthermore, it is possible to get a so-called tour of the castle, which provides any information about this.
The castle Nordkirchen is a baroque palace complex in the southern Münsterland and is located about 25 kilometers from Münster in the area of the municipality Nordkirchen in the North Rhine-Westphalian circle Coesfeld. The landmarked moated castle is the largest and most important Baroque residence in Westphalia and is also referred to as the "Westphalian Versailles" due to its dimensions and architectural design.  The origins of today's castle lie in a moated castle of the family Morrien, the Gerhard III. from Morrien at the beginning of the 16th century to one of the best fortified moated castles in the Münsterland. After the extinction of the male family line, the heirs sold the plant in 1694 to Friedrich Christian von Plettenberg, the prince-bishop of Münster. His family transformed the castle into a prestigious Baroque residence during the course of more than 30 years of construction work in the 18th century. After completion of the work in 1734, the Nordkirchener Schlossgarten was one of the most famous gardens in Europe.  When the lord of the castle Ferdinand von Plettenberg died in 1737, he left behind a heavily indebted property that future generations could only entertain with difficulty. When the von Plettenberg family had died out in 1813 in the male line, the property of the property on the hereditary daughter Maria von Plettenberg passed to her son Miklós Esterházy de Galántha. He made changes in the garden and in the interior. After his death, his Hungarian relatives sold the plant to the Duke Engelbert-Maria von Arenberg. He not only renovated and modernized the now derelict buildings, but also enlarged the main building. He also had the large castle garden partially restored and expanded. After the ducal family no longer used the castle after the end of the Second World War as a residence, the plant gradually fell into disrepair. In 1949, the state of North Rhine-Westphalia rented the castle and operated in the meantime collapse-prone castle buildings after a first renovation in 1950, its state financial school, which later became the College of Finance of North Rhine-Westphalia. In 1958, the country acquired the castle island including the main building and part of the palace park and launched a long-lasting restoration campaign, which came with the restoration of the baroque island of Venus north of the castle in 1991 its provisional conclusion. Extension buildings for the University of Applied Sciences were built especially on the edges of the palace park in 1970/71. The castle and park have been declared by UNESCO to be worthy of protection as a "Gesamtkunstwerk of international standing". The buildings are still home to the University of Applied Sciences of North Rhine-Westphalia with about 1,000 students. The vaulted cellar houses a restaurant. Some areas of the castle are open to visitors and can be visited as part of guided tours. In 1988, 50,000 visitors made use of this opportunity.  The castle park is also open to the public. The castle chapel can be rented for weddings.
Nordkirchen Castle is one of the most beautiful castles in North Rhine-Westphalia, which not only has the most visitors for this reason.
A very good run restaurant inside and a nice outdoor terrace but also the well maintained park are reason for that.
If you take the time for a guided tour, you will not regret it.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!