Mountain Biking Highlight
It is still preserved today as one of the formerly three castles in Bergerhausen. The Wasserburg was built in the 13th century and was the ancestral seat of the Knights of Bergerhausen. Around 1320 the brothers of Bergerhausen sold part of the property to the Cologne Mariengradenstift. The archbishops of Cologne acquired the rule to defend their territory. 1334 gave Archbishop Walram Burg Bergerhausen for services rendered to the Knight Hans-Ulrich von Bergerhausen. Around 1430, the descendants provided the castle with strong fortifications. Nella († 1442), heiress of Wilhelm von Bergerhausen, brought the property in 1424 in her marriage to Statz of the Bongart. The expansion to the present castle took place in the 16th century.In 1830 the estate came by marriage to Clemens August Waldbott of Bassenheim-Bornheim. At the end of the 19th century, the family moved to Hungary, so that in 1894 a relative of the owner, Clemens Freiherr von Loë-Longenburg, bought the estate and passed it on to his nephew Walter Freiherr von Loë.
September 19, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!