The Obertor was built in the course of the city expansion around 1300 on the trade route towards Ravensburg. In the Middle Ages, the Meersburgers guarded their city gates very closely. Every traveler had to be checked, and road tolls and gate money were collected at all gates. In front of the gate was a bridge house that was demolished in 1838. In 1902 the Obertor was partly renewed. - It is interesting from a socio-historical point of view that there was evidence of a city clock at the Obertor in 1477. Many cities had their own clocks since the 14th century, as the differentiated urban economy, in contrast to agriculture, required more precise (work) time measurement. The clock testified to an increased bourgeois self-confidence, since the church no longer determined the daily schedule. It may therefore not be a coincidence that the first public Meersburg clock was documented only a short time after the battles against the city's spiritual lords.
October 13, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.