Mountain Biking Highlight
The exact date of foundation of the castle is not known. While in the older literature it is often assumed that the Barbarossaburg castle in Kaiserslautern (1156) would be built immediately after the construction, more recent findings tend to suggest that construction will begin 50 years later. Above all, the five-sided keep and the massive shield wall point to a construction time around 1200.
In the first half of the 13th century the castle was given to a family of ministers from Kaiserslautern as a fief. These were the descendants of the knight Reinhard von Lautern, who was given the right of patronage to Ramstein in 1214 by the king and later emperor Friedrich II. From then on, the castle administrators called themselves von Hohenecken. The castle belonged to a rulership that extended over several settlements: the valley community of Hohenecken, which emerged at the foot of the castle hill, as well as Erfenbach, Espensteig, Siegelbach and Stockweiler, today Stockborn. All of them now belong to the city of Kaiserslautern. For centuries, the castle and the lordship were still considered to be imperial fiefs.
With the beginning of the modern era, the decline of Hohenecken Castle began. In the Peasants' War (1525) it was taken by rebellious peasants. In 1668 there was a long siege by Elector Karl Ludwig von der Pfalz, which ended with the partial destruction of the castle. During the War of the Palatinate Succession, it was finally blown up by French troops in 1689.
April 23, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.