Mountain Biking Highlight
On August 23, 1896 dedicated citizens of Luuter founded the Humberg Association with the aim to organize the construction and financing of the observation tower. At the first general meeting on September 14, 1896 Major Karl Mottes was elected chairman. The founding members included the manufacturer Pfaff, the printing company Rohr, the commercial councilors Pfeiffer and Karcher and the malting producer Gelbert.
In October 1898 was the start of construction. Probably due to bad mortar crashed already grown to ten meters in height tower on May 3, 1899 a. After a reconstruction, the tower was inaugurated on 2 September 1900. In March 1909, the Humberg Association dissolved. During the Second World War, the tower served as a flight guard for a news battalion. An octagonal sandstone construction and a new spire were put on after the war. In 1963, the Georgspfadfinder installed a brass orientation board on the viewing platform. It was renewed and supplemented in 1995.
The Humberg Tower was built by the architect Ludwig Ritter von Stempel. It is a monumental sandstone block building with neo-Romanic appeal, typical of the Wilhelminian era. The octagonal base has a height of 8.65 meters, the outside staircase has 33, the spiral staircase inside the tower 130 steps. The viewing platform is 28.16 meters above the ground. The total height of the tower is 35.77 meters. The tower stands on the top of Humberg (424.30 m above sea level).
May 3, 2018
The Humbergturm is an observation tower on the 427.9 m above sea level. NHN high Großer Humberg in the south of the city of Kaiserslautern. It stands about 250 m west-southwest of the summit on an open space at a height of approximately 424 m.In 1896 the idea of building a tower on the Humberg, which was already a popular panoramic mountain for the citizens of Kaiserslautern, was taken up. Citizens of the city of Kaiserslautern founded the Humberg Association with the aim of realizing the financing and construction of a lookout tower. Founding members included the sewing machine manufacturer Georg Pfaff, Mayor Theodor Orth, the councilors Pfeiffer and Karcher and the malt manufacturer Gelbert.The tower was built according to the plans of the architect Ludwig von Stempel, who had already made a name for himself with some of the city's public buildings. The Humbergturm is a monumental sandstone block building typical of historicism. Construction began in the spring of 1899. The building material was broken on site from the rocky plateau of the Humberg. The tower was inaugurated on September 2, 1900. It is 35.8 meters high and its observation deck is 28.2 meters above the ground. The spiral staircase inside has 130 steps, in addition there are 33 steps on the outer staircase on the base.In 1909, the then Humberg Association dissolved. The tower and the association's assets became the property of the city of Kaiserslautern. In 2001, the Humbergturm Association Kaiserslautern e.V. was founded with the intention of preserving the tower and its attractiveness as a hiking destination.(Source: wikipedia)
December 22, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!