Mountain Biking Highlight
Auenstein Castle is a castle in the municipality of Auenstein in the Swiss canton of Aargau. It was created by reconstruction of a medieval castle. The castle was probably built in the 13th century on behalf of the Lords of Gowenstein and first mentioned in 1307 as the property of the Lords of Rinach. In battles between Habsburgs and Confederates in 1389, the Bernese stormed the castle and burned down. The facility was not rebuilt and remained a ruin until the modern age.
Since the ruin was also connected to the rule over the village Auenstein, changed the uninhabitable building several times the owner. Albrecht von Rinach sold the ruin in 1465 to Heinrich Hasfurter from Lucerne. In 1487, the ruin passed into the possession of Hans Rudolf von Luternau, who, however, resold them four years later to the family von Mülinen from Brugg, which already owned the nearby Castle Kasteln. General Johann Ludwig von Erlach bought the ruins in 1648, which was sold in 1732 by his descendants to the city of Bern.
In 1803, the plant came into the possession of the newly founded canton of Aargau, which subsequently sold it to private individuals. In 1858, the ruin was made habitable again and expanded into a castle by placing additional floors above the old foundation walls with the apartment and the kitchen; In 1928 an extension was added. The castle is still privately owned.
May 23, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.