The Schalker Tower (HWN 125) was built in 1892 by the then Harz Club Branch Club Zellerfeld and restored in 1992 by the Harz Club Branch Club Clausthal-Zellerfeld. It is around 10.5 meters high and weighs around 3.5 tons.
Since 1959, during the Cold War, the Schalke listening post has also been on the summit. That was a location of the French air and telecommunications reconnaissance. In 1978/79 this listening post was extended by a 64 m high reinforced concrete tower. During this time the Harz Club tower was moved 100 meters.
After reunification, the listening post tower stood empty and was blown up in 2002. After the blast, the Harz Club tower was moved back to its original location.
January 26, 2021
Nice rest area with lookout tower and history. The Schalke listening post had been on the summit since 1959 during the Cold War. This was a location of the French air and telecommunications reconnaissance. In 1978/79 this listening post was expanded by a 64 m high reinforced concrete tower. During this time, the Harzklub tower was moved 100 meters.
December 27, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!