The St. Lawrence Church in Windeck-Dattenfeld is also called Siegtaldom because of its double tower facade. The church is the only twin-towered church in the Rhein-Sieg district.
It was built from 1879 to 1880 on the site of the old parish church in the neo-Romanesque style. Thirty years ago the church was extensively renovated. The vaults in central and transept were renewed and the masonry was consolidated.
The St. Laurentius Church was planned and executed by the Cologne architect August Lange. The Romanesque north tower was elevated by one storey by Lange and completed by a dwarf gallery to adapt it to the newly built south tower.
Above the main portal is a simple eight-piece rose. In the north are two more side portals. Striking is the massive chancel, which is followed by a single-storey sacristy.
The St. Lawrence Church is a three-nave column basilica with ribbed vaulting. Principal choir and side choirs are increased. The baptistery is located in the old Romanesque north tower, whose floor is 16 cm lower than in the rest of the church. In the course of the new building at the end of the 19th century, a six-part fan window was let into the west wall. The high altar was designed by the Cologne sculptor Gotthilf Jaeger.
Since 2003, the St. Lawrence church has been home to a reconstruction of the so-called Dattenfeld Madonna. The original, one of the earliest Sitzmadonnen of the Gothic era, can be seen in Cologne's Kolumba Museum.
November 25, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.