The castle was owned by the Lords of Merenberg. Burgmann was Ernst von Rodheim, whom the von Nordeck and von Biedenfeld drove out of the castle with the support of the Archbishop of Mainz. The castle was then taken in 1248 by Countess Sophie von Hessen (Sophie von Brabant), as it was in the hands of her opponents. In addition to other castles in the area (Hollende, Hohenfels), it was also destroyed in order to secure the Hessian heritage for her underage son Heinrich. From 1255 the landgravine had the castle rebuilt. Then it was lent to Gottfried von Rotenstein and Senand von Buseck.
February 21, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!