Bike Touring Highlight (Segment)
The Great Tiergarten of the district center located park, which extends to 210 hectares (2.1 km ²).A first zoo was created in 1527 elsewhere, namely near the Berlin Castle, west of the Cöllner city wall. The small area has been extended westwards and northwards by acquisitions since 1530, to the borders of today's Tiergarten and beyond. Wild animals were cut off and prevented by fences from escaping to the surrounding fields. The area served as a hunting ground for the electors of Brandenburg. As the city of Berlin grew, the hunting area was gradually reduced.The Big Star with eight and the Kurfürstenplatz with seven avenues were created. This began the gradual transformation of the game reserve into a forest park intended for recreation.Frederick the Great did not appreciate the hunt. In 1742 he commissioned the architect Georg Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff to demolish the fences and transform the zoo into a pleasure park for the population. To the taste of the Baroque, he planted flower beds, borders and trellises in geometrical arrangements, created labyrinths, pools and ornamental oaks, and erected sculptures.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!