The Catholic parish church of St. Cyriacus in Weyer, a district of the municipality of Mechernich in the Euskirchen district in the south of North Rhine-Westphalia, was first mentioned around 1187 as a church incorporated into the Steinfeld monastery.
The St. Church dedicated to Cyriacus is a protected monument and was located over a Franconian burial ground. It is located on a hill on the outskirts of the village in the middle of a walled cemetery.
February 27, 2019
The Catholic parish church of St. Cyriakus is one of the most special religious buildings in the Eifel region. At the end of the 15th century, Weyer was allowed to modernize the old pillar basilica from the 12th century and to refurbish it in Gothic forms. The current three-aisled hall church with a three-sided choir has stood here since around 1500. The strong west tower was not changed when the church was renovated; The tower was only renewed much later, in 1758. The equipment seen today was created after secularization in the 19th century; After 1830, three simple tabernacle altars and a high altar were created, further side altars were built in 1854, and around 1900 the other furnishings were restored. (Source: weyer-eifel.de)
March 22, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!