Bike Touring Highlight
historyDonnerschwee in the north-east of the city of Oldenburg emerged from an old farming village that probably existed since the 9th century. A castle had existed near Donnerschwee since the 11th century. The first documentary mention was made in 1237 as "Thonerswe". But finds from excavations show that people lived here 4,000 years ago.  Like the other old villages in the region, Donnerschwee was an Esch settlement.
Donnerschwee has belonged to Oldenburg's house bailiff since ancient times. After the French period (1810-1813) the village became part of the rural municipality of Oldenburg. In 1897 the rural community was divided; Donnerschwee became part of the municipality of Ohmstede. As a result of the administrative reform of 1933, most of the municipality of Ohmstede and Donnerschwee came to the independent city of Oldenburg.
As early as 1613, the Erbkrug at the Red House was mentioned as an excursion restaurant. The restaurant allowed a wide view of the Donnerschweer meadows. It was canceled in 1969.
May 16, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!