Bike Touring Highlight
The castle Andraz (also Castle Andraz, German Castle Buchenstein, Italian Castello Buchenstein, Ladin Ciastel d'Andrac) is located in the Dolomites, south of the Falzaregopass in Buchenstein in the province of Belluno, Italy. The castle is now a ruin.
The castle of Andraz was built around 1027 to protect the "iron road", where the high-quality iron obtained in the mines of Monte Pore was transported. The first owner of the castle is a family of Buchenstein occupied, which probably came from a southern German nobility. In 1091 the bishopric of Brixen was given the rule of Buchenstein by Emperor Henry IV. In the following century, the Brixen Dienstmenen of Rodenegg and von Schöneck received the largest part of the land in Buchenstein to fief. Through inheritance and purchases, the Schönecker soon became the sole ruler of Buchenstein. Around 1200, the lords of Buchenstein sold the castle Andraz to the bishops of Bressanone.
The bishopric Brixen took Andraz in 1426 with the rule Buchenstein in own administration. In 1432 Andraz was rebuilt and occupied by a captain of the castle. In the dispute with the Abbess Verena von Stuben of Sonnenburg Monastery used Prince Bishop Nicholas of Kues for fear of the Vogt of the monastery, Duke Siegmund of Tyrol, Andraz 1457/58 several months as a refuge.
In the year 1755 the Hochstift Brixen stopped iron ore mining in the reign of Buchenstein.
Due to secularization, Buchenstein fell to Austria in 1803. The last palace captain Johann Lindner left the castle Andraz. Only seven years later, Buchenstein fell to the Kingdom of Italy until it was united with Tyrol in 1813 and thus came to Austria. Until the First World War, the area belonged to Tyrol, now it is part of the province of Belluno.
June 17, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!