The Dutch Tower is a tower of the old town fortification at the orphanage square in the old town of Bern.
The Dutch tower was built around 1256 as a defense tower, it was part of the third defense belt, to which the cage tower also belonged. When the fourth Wehrgürtel with the Christoffelturm was created in 1345, this diminished the military significance of the third military belt. In 1530, the buildings of the third military belt were released for civilian purposes. The Holländern tower housed in the episode for many years a hoof and weapons smithy. The Dutch tower came to its name, as Bernese officers came to this tower in Dutch service to indulge themselves here the tobacco pleasure. They did this to be safe from uninvited spectators, because tobacco smoking was still prohibited in Bern at the time.
Initially, however, the tower was called Smoker's Tower, only in 1896 was the name Holländer Tower first mentioned.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!