The Reichsburg Cochem is a castle in the Rhineland-Palatinate town of Cochem on the Moselle. It is their landmark and stands on a mountain cone visible from afar. As a summit castle she belongs to the type of mountain castles.
The facility, which served as a customs castle in the Middle Ages, was probably built around 1100 or in the first half of the 12th century, according to recent castle research. After being destroyed in the 17th century, it was rebuilt by the Berlin merchant and later Secretary of Commerce Louis Fréderic Jacques Ravené in the years 1868-77, according to the taste of castle romance. Burg Cochem is thus a good example of a building that was designed in the style of neo-Gothic during the time of historicism. According to the monument protection law of Rhineland-Palatinate, it is a protected cultural monument and registered in the Landes-Denkmalliste. In addition, the system is a protected cultural property according to the Hague Convention and marked with the blue-white protection mark.
December 11, 2016
To the southwest of Koblenz is the Reichsburg Cochem, a beautiful stronghold that is a must for every castle fan.
According to the general assumption, around 1030, Cochem Castle was built under Count Palatine Ezzo, son and successor of Count Palatine Hermann Pusillius.
The castle was first mentioned in a document in 1051, when Richeza, the eldest daughter of Count Palatine Ezzo and formerly Queen of Poland, transferred the castle to her nephew, Count Palatine Heinrich I, that year.
Even after the Ezzone lost the dignity of the Palatinate Count, Cochem remained connected to the Palatinate County.
In 1151, King Konrad III put an end to a later dispute about the dignity of the Palatine Count by occupying Cochem Castle with Burgmannen and finally bringing it into his power as a settled imperial fief.
This made Cochem Castle an imperial castle during the Staufer period.
Now Reichsministeriale - with the title Burggraf - were used for the administration of the castle and imperial property.
When troops of the French King Louis XIV, known as the Sun King, invaded the Rhine and Moselle regions in the Palatinate War of Succession, Cochem Castle was also occupied in 1688.
After the whole city was occupied by French troops in March 1689, the castle was set on fire and blown up in 1688.
In that year almost the whole city of Cochem fell victim to the destruction of the French troops.
A ruin until 1868, the castle was bought by the merchant Louis Ravené for 300 gold marks - he had it rebuilt (according to his ideas).
The restored castle became the property of the German Reich through sale in 1942, and has been in the possession of the city of Cochem since 1978.
June 21, 2019
From the Reichsburg you have a beautiful view of Cochem and the Moselle valley. Closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, the rest of the days visitors can visit the castle. The ascent is either via a path around the castle or via stairs. Duration about 15 minutes.
May 26, 2020
"View of the Reichsburg Cochem" would make more sense here in the middle of Cochem and near the Moselle 😉 Texts and photos in this place make no sense! By the way, there are hundreds of good viewpoints here in the vicinity of the Reichsburg ...
August 23, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!