The name Vismarkt is used for the first time in the early fifteenth century. Before that the place was known as Langestraat. The name refers to the type of market that was (and still is) regularly held there.
The north side of the Vismarkt is known in Groningen as Glènne Riepe. That side of the market is known as the least attractive. The first department store in Groningen was built on this side in 1904; the Grand Bazar Français. There are a number of historic buildings on the south side. Maas House is also on that side. The Huis de Beurs café is located on the corner of Folkingestraat. In addition, the Pelsterstraat and the Haddingestraat come out on the south side of the Vismarkt. On the east side of the Vismarkt is a monumental building that was built in the 1930s. On the right side of this building is a passage that provides access to the Herestraat: the Tingtangstraatje. This alley owes its name to the large copper bell that was previously attached to the head of the East-North side of the Vismarkt. On the other side of the building, the road between Both Markets runs to the Grote Markt.
June 21, 2019
At the Vismarkt there are:
Food, including fresh and fried fish (Kibbeling & Co), vegetables, fruits, cheese, bread and
Delicious French fries from De Belg. By the way, french fries are called patat or friet.
On the sidewalk next to the Vismarkt stand stands with flowers and many other things, and sometimes it is crowded. But even if it is full on the sidewalk: to walk on the bike path between the market and the sidewalk is really dangerous! This is the realm of cyclists.
September 10, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.