The Harburg and the Zwölfmorgental are a small but distinctive hilltop and a west adjoining valley south of Wernigerode. Both are located between the castle and the Armeleuteberg or Kühnenkopf and the district Nöschenrode. At the foot of the Harburg there is a ski area with ski lift and at the exit of the Twelve Morning Valley a ski jump. On the mountain summit, which was known as "Hardenberg" until the 18th century, there was a small castle in the high Middle Ages. But there are no remnants of the wall left. The former fortified complex is detectable in our day only on the basis of the moat and the castle hill. After the construction of a castle on the site of today's castle, the Harburg lost its importance quite soon. Harburg has been a popular hiking destination and lookout since the beginning of the 19th century. Around the year 1860 stood on its summit a wooden lookout tower. Later, an inn was built here, which is still there today. From the nearby Kühnenkopf you have - as can be seen in the picture - a beautiful view of the ski area below the Harburg, the mountain with its superstructures, the Twelve Morgental and parts of Wernigerode. Harburg and Zwölfmorgental can be hiked well from the Armeleuteberg or from Wernigerode.
October 21, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!