Bike Touring Highlight
The oak ring was first completed in 1951 on a former racetrack in Appel near Helvesiek (about 10 kilometers north of Scheeßel) and had a length of 850 meters. The racetrack was operated by the motor sports club Scheeßel, which changed its name to the motor sport club Eichenring (short: MSC Eichenring) in the same year. Location: ♁53 ° 14 '20 "N, 9 ° 31' 7" EIn 1963, the train in Appel could no longer meet the requirements of the international association. For this reason, today's oak ring with a length of at first 1000 meters was built on a large piece of farmland near Scheeßel and inaugurated next year with the final run to the European Championship in 1964. Location: ♁53 ° 9'34 "N, 9 ° 31 '21" E
Coordinates: 53 ° 9 '34 "N, 9 ° 31' 21" O | OSM |
In the following years, the stadium was upgraded to one of the most modern in Europe and the track extended to a long-distance track of 1300 meters. For this reason, many finals of championships - including international - (eg German Championships, European Championships, World Championships) were held on the Eichenring.
September 19, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!