Bike Touring Highlight
The origin of the "witch house" in Wesel goes back to 1731. Initially it served as a bakery for one of the larger local courtyards. Such buildings were erected on the outskirts of town in the 18th century for fire protection reasons (here the "Höllenhoff").
The current shape of the building came about through later use for residential purposes. Dedications to a "Häuslings" or "Abbauer" house were widespread in the phase of population growth in the 19th century.
The witch house is an expressive witness of local economic and housing conditions of the past three centuries. It is managed by the state monument authority as an individual monument worthy of protection.
The name is based on the angular construction, which looks like a witch's house. The name of the location "Höllenhof" refers to the numerous holly bushes in the surrounding oak forest. (from Low German "Holler" for Ilex. Engl. "Holly")
The association founded in 2007 has the preservation, the home nursing and cultural use for the statutory purpose.
As a branch of the registry office of the velvet municipality of Hanstedt, there is the possibility of weddings in a stylish historical setting.
June 5, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.