On the eastern slope of the mountain, which once supported the parish church and possibly also the castle of Zwettl, today's Propsteiberg, rises a quite abundant spring, from which the legend goes that a long time ago shepherds found a statue of Mary in the water of the spring . Originally a wayside shrine was built, then a Marterl, in the place of which a wooden chapel was then placed.
The spring, which is considered medicinal, attracted ever larger groups of pilgrims, so that in 1846 a brick chapel with a tin roof was built.
The number of groups of pilgrims making pilgrimages to the source continued to increase, so that Pastor Anton Trajer decided to build a church at the source. With the active support of many donors and sponsors, it was built in 1896/97 and solemnly consecrated on July 18, 1897. A nave with a facade tower was built in front of the old chapel, which now formed the presbytery of the new church. A Lourdes grotto was created under the wide porch resulting from the construction of the church.
September 12, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!