Mountain Biking Highlight
In the 11th century Calw, which was first mentioned in documents in 1075, was built around the older castle of the Counts of Calw. In the Middle Ages Calw was an important trading city, especially with cloth and leather trade. In 1345 it came to Württemberg and soon became the seat of an office. From 1500, the city was in the Swabian imperial circle. In the 16th century, the city was the summer residence of the dukes of Württemberg. In the 18th century it came through the timber trade (rafting) to another economic heyday. In 1807, the old Württemberg Oberamt Calw was united with the Hirsau Monastery Office, later changed several times and finally transferred to the district of Calw in 1938. In 1957, the district Heumaden was founded.In August 1941, 17-year-old Calwerin Erna Brehm was publicly shorn for her love affair with a Polish forced laborer in the market square. After serving an eight-month prison sentence in Calw and Stuttgart, she was deported because of the charge of racial defilement in Ravensbrück concentration camp, from which she was released in April 1944 as unfit for storage. In August 1951 she died as a result of the prison conditions. In 1945, a subcamp of the concentration camp Natzweiler-Struthof was set up in Calw, which was occupied by Jewish women and served as a reservoir of labor for the war industry.In the district reform on January 1, 1973, the district of Calw received its present extension. He became part of the newly established Northern Black Forest, which was also assigned to the newly redefined Karlsruhe district. Thus, the former Württemberg city is now managed by the former Baden capital of Karlsruhe. As part of the territorial reform on May 1, 1972, the community Holzbronn was incorporated into Stammheim. On January 1, 1975 Calw was united with the communities Altburg, Hirsau and Stammheim to the city of Calw-Hirsau. With this union, the population of the city exceeded the 20,000-inhabitant border. Thereupon the city administration submitted the request for elevation to the large county town, which the Baden-Württemberg state government approved with effect from 1 January 1976. On this day, the new city got the (old) name Calw.On May 25, 2009, the city received the title of "Place of Diversity" awarded by the Federal Government.Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calw
July 15, 2018
Calw "the Hermann Hesse city" is the largest city in the district and forms a middle center for the surrounding municipalities. Since 1 January 1976 Calw is large district town. It belongs to the Northern Black Forest region and to the peripheral zone of the European metropolitan region of Stuttgart.
August 1, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.