This chapel was built in the 19th century by the Piesport bachelors in honor of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. Opposite her is a harrowing stone document about the great death in Piesport from 1506 to 1508. The inscription under the picture of Our Lady of Sorrows proclaims that? During this time, 16 of the 98 citizens of Piesport remained. They died of pneumonic plague. Because of the risk of infection, Piesport was hermetically sealed from the outside; through the Moselle rocks in the river above and below the village and at this point through a lock, popularly called Spoar. Hunger added to illness. The citizens of Krames, then part of the parish of Piesport, provided the Piesporters with food in Christian charity, which they parked here at the Spoar until the disease was extinguished and the lock could be removed. This should be mentioned here with honor.
(Source: plaque at the chapel)
November 20, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.