The castle church of St. Marien was also built by Johann Caspar Bagnato from 1732 to 1739. Its main equipment - including high altar, side altars, pulpit and sculptures - comes from one of the most important Baroque sculptors in the German south-west, Joseph Anton Feuchtmeyer (1696-1770).
The ceiling paintings and high altar by Franz Joseph Spiegler are dedicated to the life of Mary. The rich stucco by Francesco Pozzi is more than just decoration - it directs the gaze to the essential: the “heavenly area” of the choir and high altar. The church is a total work of art that testifies to the religiosity of its time.
With it began the triumphant march of the baroque on Lake Constance. The church bell of St. Marien is one of the few bells on Lake Constance that were made before the Thirty Years War. It was cast in Lindau in 1505, has a diameter of 54 cm and weighs 150 kg.
June 4, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.