The Red Bridge was first mentioned in 1350 under its old name "hanging bridge".
New buildings were destroyed by a heavy flood on the 2nd / 3rd December 1570 and detectable for the year 1790. The footbridge was always rebuilt as a so-called "ark bridge", the roof protecting the structure from the weather and extending its lifespan. On April 17, 1945, the Rote Steg was set on fire by soldiers of the German Wehrmacht who fled from the advancing Americans. Local residents who tried to extinguish were threatened with execution. A reconstruction made of hand-hewn beams was made in July 1946.
May 19, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!