Bike Touring Highlight
When Zarrentin was first mentioned in a document in 1194, it was already a German parish village. The Romanesque stone and brick church in the diocese of Ratzeburg was village church in the first half of the 13th century. Place and church were also mentioned together in 1230 in Ratzeburger Zehntregister. 1227 Zarrentin came to the county of Schwerin. Around 1250, Zarrentin Monastery was founded as a Cistercian convent. The parish church was now - as at the monastery Rehna in Rehna - the monastery church.The Romanesque fieldstone masonry of the square choir dates from the 1230s / 40s. Around 1300/10, the choir was raised with brickwork. The choir has a flat ceiling today. On the choir walls are highly restored, scenic murals from the second half of the 14th century depicting Christ as the Judge of the World, the Coronation of the Virgin Mary, Cain and Abel, the sacrifice of Isaac and some saints.1460 was built using parts of the old church with Ablassmitteln today's Gothic longhouse made of bricks.1552, the nunnery was repealed and the church was again the parish church of the place.It was not until 1672 that the west tower was completed. The tower contains parts from the 13th and 14th centuries. The current floor of the tower dates from the 18th century and consists of a half-timbered construction, which is boarded on the west side with boards. The small, square clock Tower Tower was completed by an octagonal spire.Source:
May 23, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.