The well-preserved castle ruin was once the ancestral seat of the Lords of Güssenberg, which ruled from the 12th century on large lands in the area. At the end of the 14th century, the Güssenbergs died out and the castle became the property of the Counts of Helfenstein. These used the castle until the middle of the 15th century. In 1449, the castle was destroyed in military conflicts and not rebuilt.
The municipality Heramringen acquired the ruin in 1709, but this fell further. Only in the 1970s, the state of the castle was conserved and repaired piece by piece. The castle ruin is freely accessible and can be visited all year round.
February 12, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.