In the municipality of Abtsgmünd, Wöllstein and the Jakobus chapel are a stop on this pilgrimage route, which has existed for around 100 years and today runs through the municipality in two different ways. The chapel was part of the "Burg" Wöllstein, first mentioned in a document in 1269, making it one of the oldest churches in the Ostalb district. It is a protected cultural monument of particular importance. The mighty walls, almost two meters thick, have the character of a fortress. The castle was almost completely destroyed in the Thirty Years' War. Only the chapel was restored in the years 1700 and 1789. With the renovation in 1984 it received today's interior design.
In 2002, on the initiative of the Abtsgmünd Kolping family, the Ellwangen artist pastor Sieger Köder created a mural on the outer south wall of the chapel entitled "Chicken miracle from Santo Domingo de la Calzada". This legend is told several times on the pilgrimage routes.
January 9, 2018
Sieger Köder also erected a cross of St. James with a figure of Christ and Mary at the junction of the cycle path on the Kapellenweg, which ties in with the tradition of the iron processing industry in Abtsgmünd. The hermit house (1757) next to the chapel has been extensively restored in recent years and forms a wonderful ensemble.
The pilgrim's stamp is in the Jakobus chapel. Visit to the Jakobus chapel in Wöllstein: key next door in the hermitage or from the sacristan Renate Stirner, telephone +49 (0) 7366 2979.
January 9, 2018
This "Jakobus chapel" is located near Wöllstein (district of Abtsgmünd) in the Ostalb district, Baden-Württemberg
- is a station of the "Franconian-Swabian Way of St. James"
- See also swp.de/suedwesten/staedte/crailsheim/wege-zur-jakobuskapelle-18596813.html
- Flyer: abtsgmuend.de/index.php?id=324&no_cache=1&publish[id]=412380&publish[start]=
- The parish priest and artist Sieger Köder (he is one of the most famous German painters of Christian art and nativity scene builders of the 20th century) painted the exterior of the chapel in 2002 with a mural entitled "Chicken Miracle of Santo Domingo de la Calzada".
- the chapel was part of the "Wöllstein Castle" and is therefore one of the oldest churches in the Ostalbkreis
- protected cultural monument
Excursus "Chicken Miracle of Santo Domingo de la Calzada":
October 3, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!