The castle tower originally formed the northern end of the Dusseldorf castle. The first three floors of the tower date back to the 13th century. Alessandro Pasqualini added in 1552 to the tower a fourth, polygonal floor, which was decorated with Tuscan columns. The idea of a fifth floor comes from King Frederick William IV, his court architect Friedrich August Stüler 1845 she designed the so-called round arch style.  In 1883, Eberhard Westhofen installed a new portal on the tower. Furthermore, the round arches were glazed on the fifth floor. In 1909, the Maßwerkattika was removed during the construction of a tent roof. Today's tent roof dates from 1950.  Since 1984 the maritime museum is located in the tower. In 2001, the tower received a new interior design. Overall, the height of the castle tower is 33 meters.
January 3, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!