The early church establishment as early as the 9th century is suspected, perhaps by St. Ansgar, but not proven.Presumably there was another wooden church building at this point, as two different rows of wooden posts in the ground could be detected. Around the year 1200, a three-aisled stone basilica was erected in the same place. Due to its location on a hill, this church also served as an escape church. On the grounds around the church we could detect ditches and a protected courtyard area. From this construction phase, four Romanesque arched windows have been preserved on the north wall, an arcade opening to the east and parts of the old floor could be detected by excavations. At this time Sinstorf is already mentioned as the center of an extended parish.After destruction, the church was rebuilt in 1416 into its present structure, abandoned the northern side aisle, the other side aisle and the nave into a single-nave church summarized. The choir in the east also had to be redesigned, its outer wall is still clearly recognizable in today's east wall by a Gothic window niche and five blind niches in the old gable triangle. Evidence of the original floor plan can also be found in two walled arcades on the north side. In the west, a round tower was added, remains of the wall can still be seen in the attic of the church. Documented demonstrably the secondary altars of the aisles 1407 have been dissolved.Around 1660, the church was rebuilt into a hall church, widening the choir and removing the separation between the nave and choir area of the church. The round tower was demolished again and the windows in the south wall redesigned. In 1690 the building was supplemented by a freestanding wooden bell tower in the southeast. The roof ridge above the eastern gable was added in 1698.As the last reconstruction to date, a neo-Romanesque vestibule was added in the years 1906 and 1907 under the direction of Karl Mohrmann in the west of the church, and the windows on the south side were newly subdivided. In the east and south, stanchions were added to the church to support the outward-sloping walls. Since 1940, the church is a listed building.Source:
October 30, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!