The Ikosifinissa Monastery is one of the oldest monasteries and centers of Orthodoxy in the Balkans. Over the centuries, religious and monks of the monastery contributed significantly to the preservation of the Orthodox religion and Hellenism in East Macedonia and Thrace. Understandably, they aroused the anger of the Turks and Bulgarians, as the high number of martyrs attests to.Although now of less importance than in its heyday, the Ikosifinissa monastery still attracts countless pilgrims, believers and visitors today, who take vows here in front of the miracle-working icon, pray to the Mother of God or simply seek peace and reflection.According to tradition, the bishop of Filippi "Soson" founded a church and a monastery settlement around 450 AD about 50 meters east of today's monastery in the "Vigla" area. The ruins of the wall and tower preserved in this place testify to the existence of a great ancient fortress. It is possible that the new facilities were built on the ancient site of the "Oracle of Dionysus".All this was given up after the first founder of the order, St. Germanos, arrived from the Holy Land in the same century, who had already entered the monastery of the "Venerable Prodromos" on the Jordan at a young age and followed a vision at the age of 30 Macedonia came here to "build a place on a mountain in honor of the Blessed Virgin".The further history of the monastery during the following centuries is completely unknown. Archaeological finds lead to the assumption that the main church of the monastery was rebuilt in the 11th century. Other documented references to the Ikosifinissa monastery date from 1320 and 1395.Source: nea-zihni.info/ikosifinissa_de.htm
June 7, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!