The history of Falkenberg Castle can be traced back to the 11th century. Since then, the owners have changed hands many times and the building has been rebuilt for the new owners each time.
Around 1800, the castle came into the possession of the Bavarian King, but left the building neglected. In 1936, the former ambassador Friedrich-Werner Graf von Schulenburg bought the castle and had it extensively renovated. For his complicity in the Hitler attack, however, he was sentenced to death in 1944.
In 2008, a non-profit organization from Falkenberg bought the unused castle from the Schulenburg heirs. Today, the renovated castle houses a hotel and a museum. However, a visit is only possible on Sundays at 14 and 15.30 in the context of a guided tour.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!