The demand to create a waterway cross connection between the rivers Rhine, Ems, Weser and Elbe in order to connect the West German industrial area with the agricultural areas in the east was often hotly contested in the Prussian House of Representatives. It was not until the Prussian Water Act of April 1, 1905 that the expansion of the German inland waterway network was decided. So the construction of the Diemel dam could already be started in 1912. Due to the First World War, however, the construction work had to be interrupted and could only be continued in 1919. Completion took place in 1924, with the total construction costs at that time, without taking inflation into account, estimated at around 4.85 million gold marks. The reason for the construction was the construction of the Mittelland Canal from Minden to Hanover in 1906. The Diemeltalsperre had the task of using the Edertalsperre to deliver the feed water for the Mittelland Canal, which was pumped from the Weser into the Mittelland Canal. In addition, the water released by the two dams should improve the poor sailing conditions for shipping on the Oberweser when the water is low in summer or autumn. Since 1960, however, the fee has only been based primarily on the needs of shipping on the Oberweser. The Diemel dam and the power station building are now under monument protection.
May 19, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!