Road Cycling Highlight
Erected on the sand of Omaha Beach, in homage to the 35,000 Allied soldiers who landed there on June 6, 1944, and to the 3,000 victims, dead, missing and wounded on the evening of D-Day, the monument "Les Braves ”, the work of sculptor Anilore Banon, whose steel sails stand at the foot of the steps of the Signal monument in Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer, was inaugurated on June 5, 2004, on the eve of the 60th anniversary of the landing of Normandy.
This monumental ensemble, produced in the workshops of the Constructions Mécaniques de Cherbourg, with a length of 15 meters and a weight of 15 tons, is composed of three groups, sculpted in steel and stainless steel, resting on a plinth. of concrete. In the center, raised towards the sky, the feet bathed by the ebb and flow of the sea, "Debout la liberté", whose summit rises to 9 meters above the ground, celebrates the courage of the men who stand up to face and defeat barbarism and totalitarianism. To its left, "the wings of fraternity" commemorate the commitment of those who fight for the establishment and respect of universal equality of human rights. To its right, completing the set, "the wings of hope" illustrate the commitment of those who, even today, continue the fight for democracy.
An ephemeral work, built in the public maritime domain, benefiting from a temporary authorization granted by the prefecture of Calvados expiring on October 31, 2004, "Les Braves" was destined to disappear in the fall. Following a request made in September 2004 by the mayor of the municipality of Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer, following the petition "We must save the Braves!" ”Launched the same year, a prefectural decree dated April 23, 2010 was finally to authorize the maintenance of the monument, on its current location, for a renewable period of nine years.
February 27, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!