The Church of St. Pankratius is known as the "Cathedral of the Moores", probably because of the 37 m high tower and for such a small place very large interior. The church was originally built in the 14th century in English Late Gothic style with the granite found at Widecombe. St. Pankratius was enlarged again and again in the following two centuries, partly with the income from tin mining. In the church interior, the decorative ceiling is worth seeing, in which the emblem of Zinnbergwerker, a ring of three rabbits (known here as "Tinner's Rabbits") is immortalized.
The church was badly damaged by a ball lightning on October 21, 1638 during a heavy thunderstorm. This happened during the afternoon Mass with about 300 participants - four were killed and about 60 injured. The legend explains the storm by visiting the devil. The Church House next to the church was built in 1537 as a brewery building; It is now managed by the National Trust.
Source and more info: Wikipedia
August 1, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.