From the old town market, the old town hall in Brandenburg an der Havel shows itself in full beauty with its ornamental gables in the finest late Gothic brick art. The building, erected around 1430, served as the city administration and market hall. The tower, which originally housed the court arbor, prison, armory and city archive, rises into the sky like a church tower. When the old and new towns were united in 1715, the Brandenburg administration moved into the new town hall (no longer preserved today). After centuries of misuse and a rescue by Karl Friedrich Schinkel as well as further renovation work, it is now the seat of the Brandenburg mayor again.
April 27, 2019
Medieval buildings have only survived in the eastern area of the square. A large part of the development on the square is listed as a monument. The summer linden tree on the left in front of the town hall has been a natural monument since 1987. The fountain with forest pug is centrally located on the square.
December 29, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!