This bell has a very interesting and important story. This bell was created in 1944 after the actual church bell was dismantled by the Nazi regime at the time and melted down for weapon steel. Two residents of the village built a new bell from an aerial bomb that rang in the Helgersdorf chapel until 1949. On the 50th anniversary of the liberation from the Nazi regime by the Americans, this memorial bell tower was built in which the "Helgersdorfer Freidensglocke" rings every Saturday at 1 p.m. to warn residents never to support a dictatorial regime again.
November 21, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!