The station is located on the Wuppertal – Wichlinghausen – Hattingen railway line, which was opened by the Prussian State Railways in 1884 and this section was largely closed in 1979, directly at the north portal of the Scheetunnel. There was also a branch line from the station to Silschede.
The station building dates from 1886, is now privately owned and is a protected monument. Due to its original condition, filming (historical station scenes) for a ZDF television film took place there in October 1976.
Despite its peripheral location, the station was at times one of the busiest stations in Prussia due to the coal transports. On the Wuppertal – Wichlinghausen – Hattingen railway, passenger train traffic ended on November 30, 1979, freight traffic in 1984. Passenger traffic on the Schee – Silschede line ended in 1960, freight traffic only in 1989. This last ran from Wuppertal – Oberbarmen via Wichlinghausen and Schee towards Hiddinghausen.
June 19, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!