Bike Touring Highlight (Segment)
A 250 meter long straight tunnel (width 5 meters, headroom 3.2 meters) for pedestrians and cyclists leads through the Tübingen Castle Mountain, connecting the Neckarhalde at the Alleenbrücke with the square in front of the Haagtor. It was opened to traffic on December 19, 1974 after 21 months of construction, the cost was 4.4 million marks (60% borne by the federal government and 25% by the state). Until the completion of the tunnel on the B 28, motor vehicle traffic also ran from north to south in one lane. At the beginning of June 2007, the tunnel was also closed to mopeds and scooters.
Since 2003, the Rock im Tunnel event has been held there annually in May or June.
August 29, 2018
The * pedestrian and bicycle tunnel * through the Schlossberg has been connecting the avenue bridge with the Haagtorplatz since December 19, 1974. Until the completion of the B 28 tunnel in 1979, there was also single-lane traffic there for almost five years.
It may only be used by pedestrians and cyclists. Mopeds and scooters have been explicitly banned from using the tunnel since 2007. The fire brigade uses the tunnel for emergency trips. The tunnel is approx. 250 m long, straight and with a slight incline towards the north to Haagtorplatz. The Rock im Tunnel event takes place there once a year. Until the tunnel was built, pedestrians had to cross the Schlossberg using the relay that was fortified in 1906.
June 4, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!