Road Cycling Highlight
Bruchköbel was first mentioned in a document in 1128 and received city rights from Emperor Charles IV in 1368. The Thirty Years' War brought total destruction, only the defense tower, the former Evangelical Lutheran church and a house in Schweizergasse were spared by the city. After the Second World War, Bruchköbel developed from a village to a town. The population rose rapidly due to the admission of many displaced persons. From 1972 the old town was renovated. Bruchköbel's city center has some very pretty half-timbered buildings.
- The ev. Jakobiskirche with the great tower which rises above the old half-timbered town hall depending on the line of sight. The defense tower is 34.5 m high and was built in 1505-10. At times there were two parishes in Bruchköbel, with the Lutheran congregation now using the building as a library. In the Thirty Years' War the Jakobuskirche was badly damaged and rebuilt in 1724. It received the neo-Romanesque choir room with semi-dome in 1872.- The old town hall was built in 1520 and also suffered from the Thirty Years War at the beginning of the 17th century. Together with the Jakobuskirche, the town hall is one of the landmarks of Bruchköbel. The basement (16th century) is massive, on top the town hall consists of half-timbered buildings (18th century). The lower floor served as the community wine cellar for some time when the wine was cultivated in Bruchköbel. The upper floor has housed a local history museum since 1978. Exhibits from the Staufer period, coins, certificates, a diamond cutting shop that once secured work are on display there. 🚴♂️bruchkoebel.de/natur-gesundheit-freizeit/historischer-stadtrundgang
August 27, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.