The beginnings of the pilgrimage church Mariahilf over Neumarkt date back to the late 17th century, where a small funerary chapel was built on the hillside modeled after the Jerusalem Church of the Holy Sepulcher. It was supplemented by a Lady Chapel. The construction of today's pilgrimage church took place between 1718 and 1727, the tower was completed much later in 1757.
A lightning strike in 1841 caused a fire that left considerable damage to the church. The interior of the church holds fine baroque art treasures, such as the stucco work by Philipp Jakob Schmuzer and Johannes Bajerna. The impressive ceiling fresco was created by Johann Babist Koller, which corresponds to the high altar by Johann Ulrich Wiest.
The two-manual organ with 14 stops was only produced in 1977 by the Swiss company Mathis and Sons. It is a mechanically operated grinding tool.
The former Carmelite convent next to the church served the Carmelites for almost 100 years. In 2001, it had to be abandoned because of staff shortages. Since 2004 it is managed by two Polish Redemptorists.
February 19, 2019
The Catholic pilgrimage church Mariahilf is located on the Mariahilfberg above the city of Neumarkt, a crossroad with 367 steps leads up to the church. The pilgrimage church was inaugurated on February 11, 1725. The pastoral care of the pilgrims was entrusted to the Capuchins. After the Capuchins had to leave Neumarkt in 1802 as part of the secularization in Bavaria, the pilgrimage was orphaned. In 1907 the Carmelites settled next to the church. Today the Redemptorists oversee the pilgrimage. kloster-mariahilfberg.de/nathus-14701/geschichte-bau.html
October 22, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.