Bike Touring Highlight
The historical term Hößgang describes the path along the right bank of the Danube on the Strudengau between Ardagger and Ybbs on the Danube, which was previously used for towing and was difficult to access from the south. In the village of Hößgang he could be left in the direction of Neustadtl. This place was previously secured by the Hößgang (or Mitter-Lueg) castle, which first appeared in the Wallseer Urbar in 1449, but is now only present as a field of rubble. In the 18th century there was a lime distillery here, which burned the limestone debris transported from the Danube into masonry lime, and several timber traders. However, with the advent of motorized shipping and the relocation of goods traffic to the Western Railway, the Hößgang lost its importance. According to the Austrian address book, there were two innkeepers in Hößgang in 1938, a miller, a shoemaker and a farmer with direct sales.
2 days ago
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.